Saturday, March 10, 2007

If the Shoe Fits

Anyone who knows me knows that I LOVE shoes. Shopping for them is so much fun...even when its not for me. In fact... I almost enjoy buying them for other people more. (NOTE: I said ALMOST.) The other night, Jeff and I went to Wal-Mart, as we do many nights, and I decided that I wanted to buy new shoes for Zeke and Yana. In particular I was looking for little pink "Ugg" boots for Yana that I knew they would probably have on clearance from winter. I found exactly what I was looking for in the perfect size for $3!! Even better than buying shoes...finding a great bargain! Anyway...on the same aisle Jeff found tennis shoes just like his for Zeke in red, which is Zeke's favorite color. Our mission was complete...


The next time they came over and saw their new shoes, they were so excited! I'm not sure when I've seen two happier kids. It amazes me sometimes how such simple things can brighten someones day. Even more amazing is how happy it makes me to see them so excited.

A couple of weeks ago, my sister returned from Panama (the canal...not the beach). She had been there for a week on a trip with Samaritan's Purse and Operation Christmas Child. If you don't know anything about this ministry, click on the links and check them out. They are incredible ministries. Shannon is the Louisville Area Coordinator for OCC and this year she was given the opportunity to travel with a large group of OCC staff and other volunteers to personally hand out shoebox gifts to kids who have probably never received a Christmas gift in their life. When she returned, we sat down and looked through probably 3o0 pictures of happy faces...all ecstatic over a few dollar store items in a shoebox. Pretty cool, huh?

It seems very easy for us to sit around with our cell phones, computers, ipods, etc. and think that it's not enough...to think that life is hard and that we've hit rock bottom. We've all been guilty...me included. But then I think about kids like Zeke and Yana who are absolutely thrilled with a $3 pair of shoes...and then I remember the looks on the faces of the kids in Panama who are so grateful to receive a shoebox filled with gifts. Then I realize how happy it makes me. THINGS don't make us happy. Money doesn't make us happy. SHOES don't make us happy :) Giving and helping others makes us happy. Seeing how our actions, even a small gesture, can change someones day, week, year or life...that is true happiness.

No comments: